Sunday, August 20, 2023

Daniel Bruce Robin Ignas, DOB August 22, 1957; DOD February 21, 2023.

Daniel Ignas passed away in Terrace BC during the night of February 21, 2023. He was living with his mother, supporting her wish to live at home in her old age. His brother Dominic came that night to be with their mother and do the work of calling family and friends. Daniel's passing has left a hole in all our lives. 

Over the 41 years I had the pleasure of being Daniel's brother-in-law I spent many hours visiting and talking politics. We shared an interest in making the world a fairer, more just place. Daniel was a lifelong supporter and advocate of the New Democratic Party, I tend to sit to the left of that. Daniel was generous with his debate, while he might get flustered from time to time with criticisms of the NDP, I am certain my fellow brothers-in-law would agree, Daniel was always up for a good political conversation and he came well prepared.

Daniel studied at the then North West Community College where he meet many influential political thinkers and writers. When we spoke Daniel would talk with me about their theories and points of view on making our world a better place. We would debate their merits and enjoy the moment.  


Daniel's participation in NDP politics was very important to him. His adherence to a social justice political worldview framed, I think, his sense of himself as a caring and committed person. He wasn't satisfied with talk, he was actively involved in NDP politics and electoral campaigns. In the early 1980s he was, for example, an active organizer of Terrace's local peace movement.  

For many years we had a family election pool. He, along with fellow brother-in-law Harley, were enthusiastic participants in the pool. His support of the NDP never coloured his predications. Daniel often came closest to the the actual outcomes then the rest of us. 

Daniel was a favoured uncle. My sons loved the times Daniel would come to visit. I know my nieces who grew up in Prince George have similar memories of Uncle Dan. He loved a chance to visit. Christmas for sure was a special time for Daniel. As Heather shared (see below) we affectionately called him Uncle Christmas due to his enthusiasm to celebrate the season by distributing gifts (this, I am told was a trait that goes back to his childhood). 

In Vancouver we always waited for 'the sleigh' to turn up sometime in mid-December. Daniel would unload presents for our household.  We in turn tried to fill any empty space in his truck with gifts going north to Prince George and Terrace. Daniel maintained social connections in important ways across the vastness of BC and the distributed nature of a modern family.

Daniel spent much of his working life in the Ignas family contracting business. He variously operated heavy equipment and coordinated construction safety. On my research trips up north and back home it was a pleasure to meet up with Daniel.  Our work paths would often cross in 'Rupert or out in Lach Klan were he was involved in several major infrastructure projects. During one such moment he shared his 'Rupert home with me as I prepared to go gillnet fishing for food. He let me transform the place into a netloft and fish shed!

My visits north often overlapped with Daniel's birthday in August. Every time I could I would invite Daniel out for a birthday lunch or dinner. We did this for years. The last time we meet face to face was over dinner at The Crest in Prince Rupert in 2021. We had a great view of the harbour. We talked politics and work. He showed me photos of the jobs he was working. I shared my mountain goat research. We had a great time.

 This year as Daniel's birthday approaches I won't be able to have dinner with him. I won't be able to gather together in person with those who love him and wish him well on his next journey. But across the distance I will spend a moment with those I love saying good bye to a dear friend who enriched the lives of many people.



-------

The photograph was taken in August 2019, during the last time we (Barbara and Harley) spent with uncle Daniel.

It was taken on August 19th (auntie Elaine’s birthday) and “we spent it looking at one of the most beautiful places in the world”. 








Daniel and Rufous, Terrace BC, August, 2019



------

"Daniel was my older  brother and  it was he who I chose to give  the “toast to the bride” at my wedding and  with his sudden passing I will cherish his words even more.   Daniel became part of my new family and he helped us celebrate many happy times.   Despite the pouring rain and a very long wait until I crossed the finish line he was waiting  with Dick and the girls when I ran my marathon.  He did ask later if there was a time limit in which I had to complete the run in."     

"I was able to spend time with Daniel in my home when he came for the holidays and he took a keen interest in all aspects of the holiday from house decorating to menu planning including the preparation of the dishes.  Christmas morning breakfast without  him frantically stirring the hollandaise sauce  will never be the same. "    

"Daniel’s generosity was epic and his nickname of “Uncle Christmas” was well earned along with his patience in ensuring whatever gift he had given to the girls was assembled.  This he did after a full night of gift wrapping and  day of celebrations. He spoke fondly of listening to the CBC Christmas eve music that played throughout the night and how special that was to him.  We shared a love of country music and had many happy moments listening to and discussing the various artists we liked." 

"There was never any shortage of conversation when Daniel was around he loved current affairs and could talk a long time on any political topic or historical event." 

"His unexpected passing has left a tear in the fabric of my life but he will live on in my heart.   Rest in peace dearest brother you were loved."
Heather

"Daniel was a unique individual with whom I had the privilege of a friendship for over three decades.  A brother-in-law who helped me understand and enjoy the Ignas clan for so many years.  I always enjoyed my trips to Terrace and stops on the way to Haida Gwaii as well as Dan’s visits to us in PG.  Most memorable were his Christmas stops with us throughout the childhood of my children and it always seemed Santa had arrived for all of us as Daniel secluded himself downstairs meticulously wrapping presents until early hours."

"I have never met anyone more generous and I hope he felt the appreciation and love we offered in return.  His sudden death is still difficult to process emotionally, especially for his beloved siblings and mother.  I share in their grief."  
Dick


Daniel sledding with Penny (shared by Jack Raymond).










------

From Penny, Fiona, and Mitch.
"It is impossible to think about Uncle Daniel without thinking about Christmas. Uncle Dan knew the magic of Christmas for a child and from the second he would arrive at our house in his sleigh he set about weaving that magic. Every year we could find him staying up late wrapping gifts in so much ribbon that we are still re-using it today, wearing the cracker hats at Christmas dinner and being the best sous-chef in the kitchen. Beyond the gifts, we will also remember him for how he gave us his time. We especially remember our niece's lunches where Uncle Dan took out all the nieces for lunch at Earls in Prince George, and a Christmas movie."

"Uncle Dan was kind and a lover of animals. I believe that animals react to the kindness in people and our animals were always drawn to Uncle Dan. He could barely sit down without our cats taking up residence on his lap. I remember one time after housesitting he said “I just need an extra hand because they always want to be petted.” Zeus, who was very anxious especially when we left was so pleased to have Uncle Dan to spend time with and even as an old dog he lived on in our minds as “baby Z” which is what Uncle Dan dubbed him."

"Even when we moved away from Prince George Uncle Dan always made sure we felt his love and support with flowers and cards for every big occasion. We (Mitch, Fiona and Penny) distinctly remember the first Christmas that they spent in Kingston (provinces away from family) the apartment was buzzed and a gorgeous orchid plant (now carefully attended to by Mitch) as well as the centrepiece for the kitchen table both made their way into our home for the holidays."

------

Photos shared by Dominic, circa late 1980s.


Daniel running the boat with Vern Gier (co-worker) and Dominic diving in Reynold Sound on the west side of Haida Gwai. 




In Daajing Giids (formerly Queen Charlotte City), walking down a flight of stairs 






--------

From Petra


Dominic, Dale, and Daniel. Xmas PG.











--------

These are a selection of photos I (Charles) have on my phone. One of Daniel's favourite restaurants was at the former Yew Seafood at the Four Seasons downtown - we spent many special visits there with him. In 2015 Daniel made an effort to join the Raymonds, Elaine, and Veronica and I at the Chilko Lake Lodge. Here is a photo of Daniel at the peak on our family hike. Daniel often did more than just turn up, he put himself to work. These photos of him at Airdrie's wedding in Vancouver show him doing his best to make the day memorable. 

Left; Daniel going to dinner at the Yew Seafood, Four Seasons (a favourite spot), 2014.

Center: Daniel at Chilko Lake, 2015.

Right: at Airdrie's wedding, 2012.




Decorating the wedding boat, 2012.








Daniel at Chilko Lake.







On a mountain hike with Jack, Veronica, and Uncle Dan, Chilko Lake trip.